Some people are born evil, other people turn evil.
Deep fried oreos is the devil’s work.
Picture: Deep fried oreos at Camden market
I had my first deep fried oreo in the Camden Markets in London. There was this stall that deep fried any chocolate bar of your choice, so I chose the Bounty Bar but they had deep fried oreos to sample.
Fast forward to 2015 and I start to feel a bit nostalgic.
What do deep fried oreo cookies taste like I hear you ask… the answer is AMAZING. The soft pancake batter followed by a slightly crumbly chocolately creamy centre. You think you can stop at one… and you end up with three.
I warn you… this is a once in every 3-4 years treat.
The best part about it is that it uses PACKET MIX pancake batter as the batter. The trick of having good batter is that it needs to be thick, but not too thick. Freezing your oreos the night before also ensures that you get the best possible result.
Oreos deep fried in pancake batter
- 1 cup of Pancake mix (any brand, I used the cheapest one possible)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp oil (sunflower, vegetable, rice bran… not olive)
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tbs extra flour to thicken the batter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract if you want to be fancy
- OREOS (freeze the night before or a few hours beforehand)
- oil to deep fry (I used sunflower)
- Whisk together the pancake mix, egg, 2 tsp oil, milk, extra flour and optional extract until you get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the deep frying oil in a heavy saucepan (3cm deep) and heat it until it reaches 170 degrees celcius. Use a cooking thermometer to ensure you reach the right temperature.
- While the oil is reaching its temperature, get the oreos and coat them in the batter. I just left them in there until the oil reached the right heat.
- Once it hits 170 degrees, with a tong, get an oreo cookie and place in the saucepan. Don’t add too many at one time or else they will touch.
- Fry each oreo for 1 minute, or until you see it golden on the edges, then flip over and deep fry on other side. One cooked place on some paper towels to soak the excess oil.
- Lie in a coma-like state and start thinking about all the bad things you’ve done in life.
- Repeat step 6 if you’re up for the challenge.
You can dust your oreos in icing sugar if you want, I didn’t think the extra sugar was necessary. They would go well with vanilla ice cream. I just simply ate them on its own.
Deep frying and photography by tinmanstreats.