Happy 2016! Sorry for the wait…..
I promise to blog more this year than ever. Hopefully you stay with me in 2016 as I blog the recipes I love to make.
Sometimes you don’t feel like using an oven – especially in summer! But you still want something sweet and this treat is simple, tasty and you only need a small piece to satisfy.
If you want something that combines caramel slice, honey joys and chocolate crackles (rice krispy/bubble treats), this is it! Smooth, crunchy, sweet, savoury, easy but decadent. Loved it.
Introducing the SALTED.CARAMEL.CORNFLAKE.SLICE!
It’s PRACTICALLY breakfast food…. sorta 😉
Salted caramel cornflake slice
- 1 can condensed milk
- 75g salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbs golden syrup
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 block copha
- 4 cups cornflakes
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded or desicated coconut (I used shredded)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing sugar (sifted)
- 50g chocolate
- Grease and line a 18 x 35cm brownie tin
- Make the caramel – In a saucepan, pout the condensed milk, butter, vanilla extract and golden syrup and stir over a medium heat until it is thickened, smooth, light brown and starts to bubble. Set aside to cool.
- Make the bottom layer
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of cornflakes, 3/4 cup of coconut, 1/8 cup of cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of icing sugar.
- Melt half the copha block. Once melted pour into dry ingredients and combine.
- Pour mixture into the brownie tin and place into freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- One the bottom layer is chilled, pour the caramel on top. Smooth the caramel out and sprinkle sea salt flakes on top – depending on how you like your salted caramel.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes until the caramel is set.
- Repeat step 3 and pour over the caramel to make the top layer.
- Place in fridge for at least 1 hour to set.
- Optional decorating to make them look classy – Melt the chocolate in the microwave, watch it carefully – it takes me 90 seconds. *the chocolate should be ‘almost melted’, stir until you get a smooth consistency
- Pour chocolate in piping bag or zip lock bag. Cut a small hole at the tip and drizzle the top of the slice with chocolate. Return to fridge to set for 10 minutes.
- Remove from fridge, and slice. For me, this makes 24 pieces. I personally think that a 3cm x 4cm portion is more than enough to satisfy your sweet craving.
Recipe from Delicious.com (a website and magazine i LOVE) – http://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/cornflake-slice/33de8bc1-4794-473e-ba06-5ecda8147228